Steamers are so handy! You don’t have to get out an ironing board, there’s little risk of scorching clothing, and you can do it with your clothing still on the hanger! Plus, you save money at the drycleaners, because you can get rid of wrinkles at home. So how to choose a steamer? Follow these tips:
How to Choose a Steamer: First steps
Before you choose a steamer, you need to think about a couple of things:
- What will I be steaming? Am I steaming drapes or clothing?
- How often will I use it?
- How much can I spend?
How to Choose a Steamer: Handheld vs. Stand-Up
Choose a handheld steamer if you’re doing clothing, drapes or other items– but not very often, and not for very long. For more pro use, use a stand-up steamer. The tank is larger, it heats up quickly and is often more powerful. We love Jiffy Steamers, which come in both a traditional version and one with a metal head. The metal head provides a longer life and more control of steam, but both are great options.
Handheld steamers are also great for travel or for spot steaming, like in millinery.
How to Choose a Steamer: Other Features
When you are shopping for a steamer, keep an eye on the following features:
- Tank size — you want a tank that you don’t have to refill constantly, and you also want something that is easy to refill.
- The pole — on a stand-up steamer, the pole should be detachable or fully adjustable.
- Wattage — the more wattage, the faster your steamer will heat and more steam it will put out. It can also cost a little more.
- Hose — look for length and flexibility. No one wants to trip over the hose, but no one wants to have to drag the entire base unit to get to the top of drapes, either.
Head to Manhattan Wardrobe Supply for steamers from Reliable and Jiffy, and both hand-held and stand-up steamers, depending on your needs!